- Don’t be the guy/girl at networking events constantly eye for people to trade business cards with.
- Connections form when you are genuine.
- Take time to care for others whether they are your peers, below you, above you, or beneficial to you in the social/professional ladder.
- Basically don’t be an asshole.
- Don’t schmooz - people can smell an ass kisser from a mile away
- Don’t come empty handed - provide value to others without expecting anything in return
- Don’t treat those under you poorly
- Be transparent - Openly express your excitement to meet someone famous, or don’t if you’re not. Transparency invites trust.
- Don’t be too efficient - nothing is worse than a mass email with a generic message. Spend time cultivating your relationships.
Those who are best at networking don’t ‘network’, they make friends.